In addition to offering osteopathic treatments that are safe for all age groups, The Backbone team can advise you on diet and what else you can do to speed your recovery from digestive problems.
Your diet is very important when dealing with digestive problems.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit
- Eat fewer processed and fatty foods
- Eat plenty of fibre. Try adding flaxseed or psyllium husks to your meals once a day.
- Drink enough water. Try herbal teas instead of tea and coffee
- Eat moderate amounts
- Plan meals for a time when you can relax and enjoy your food.
Wheat and dairy products can cause digestive discomfort. Experiment with alternatives such as rice or oat milk, and reduce or avoid wheat.
Exercise! It boosts circulation and assists in healthy gut motility.
If digestive symptoms keep coming back or include any of the following 'red flag' symptoms, The Backbone advises you seek medical advice from your GP:
- A sudden, persistent change in your bowel movement
- Bleeding from the back passage
- Steadily increasing heartburn or stomach pain
- Night sweats or fever
- Losing weight unexpectedly
- Difficulty Swallowing.