What is RSI?
Here are most of the common causes we see at The Backbone Osteopathic Practice:
- Prolonged use of mouse or keyboard at work or poor workstation set-up.
- DIY related- painting, sanding.
- Gardening related – digging, weeding, pruning.
- Sports related – using a racket, or golf club.
- Cleaning – dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing.
- New mums – lifting carrying baby on one side.
- Gadget related – using same thumb when messaging on phone, playing games on phone/ tablet/ computer.
Symptoms (May vary)
- Pain, aching or tenderness
- Tingling or numbness
Symptoms generally worse after activities such as computer work or causes mentioned. Pain reduces when activity reduces. If left untreated can result in inflammation, which makes these symptoms unbearable at night and can cause more long-term pain and damage.
- Icing the effected area can help reduce inflammation.
- Rest! Reduce the repetitive activity where possible and take breaks. Set a timer on your watch or phone to help you to pace yourself.
- Supports can be used depending on the area affected. Tennis elbow straps, wrist supports for carpal tunnel etc. (Please feel free to email us at email@example.com if you want more free advice regarding the best type of support for your condition).
- Here is a self-help exercise you can try which I find helps alleviate RSI pain in the wrists and hands.